Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Tempo

After my endless meetings and my daughter V's after school teeth cleaning, a run at the marsh sounded pretty heavenly for both of us. The marsh deserves a picture essay, but not today. Today, I wouldn't have had the nerve to stop and take pictures, as it was all I could do to match my kid's pace. It was supposed to be a "joy" day since tomorrow is speed, but there is something about that route that brings out the tempo in us.

Tempo: the steady overall pace at which one plays music. Lento, Andante, Allegretto, Allegro, Vivace.
Tempo: a steady run at a fairly quick clip. Not generally lento or andante or allegretto.

V was about an inch ahead of me at all times. We discussed STD's today (which she learned about in health class). We discussed the flowers we saw (lupine, foxy digitalis). We discussed digoxin and its use in heart disease (after seeing the digitalis). We did slow up for one moment to look at the family of ducks in a pond, pretty much straight out of that book about the ducklings searching for a home in Boston. Toward the end of the run, I turned to her and said, "you know, you are the one setting this pace, not me". "What?" says she. "I thought it was you!"

I think we have this discussion more or less every time we run at the marsh.

No comments:

Post a Comment