Sunday, May 8, 2011

Don't Wish Your Life Away

my run today: lupine

On my long run today, I was pondering all of those catch phrases my Mom used. Things that I now find myself, irritatingly, using on my own kids. I was pondering this as I ran, reined in by my heart rate monitor. This early in training is no time to be speedy. Slow keeps you safe. The heart rate monitor is maternal that way.

Once when I was eating lunch before heading off to softball practice on my powder blue bike with the STP sticker on the banana seat, my Mom tried to get me to eat spinach by telling me that since it makes Popeye stronger, it is likely to improve my odds of hitting a ball out of the park. I totally bought it. So much so, I can quite specifically remember that moment. I think I even remember what I was wearing: a white t-shirt with a scratch-n-sniff strawberry on the front. I ate that spinach. It was gross.

Other repeated slogans:
Don't sleep with your socks on.

If you can't find something to do, your room needs cleaning (that one works like a charm with my kids).

Go out and play!!!!!!!!

Don't let your Dad find you sun bathing on the roof.

It doesn't matter what you decide to be when you grow up, as long as you are happy.

And: Don't wish your life away. Which is something I rarely need to be told anymore. Except around 2am during a chaotic night shift, when 7am feels like an impossible dream. It always shows up though, pretty much right on time.

No comments:

Post a Comment