Saturday, June 4, 2011

Impermanence

good advice, June 3, 2011

I fell off the wagon this week. The running wagon, that is. And I didn't fall off so much as get pushed off. Maybe this is backwards, because running is sort of an addiction for me, and I haven't run for three days. I missed speed day! Tomorrow is long run, and I haven't run for three days. My opinion is running is a positive addiction, so I am going to stick with the fact that what happened is I got pushed, rudely, off the wagon.

Now, it could be worse. I am not injured (knock on wood). It is just that there were so, so many sick people this week. My days were epic, and I don't mean that in the hip, cool way that the word epic is often used these days. My sleep became increasingly condensed as the week went on, until sleep was just something I craved with a painful nostalgia. Actually, sleep deprivation is physically, not just figuratively painful for me. I can stand a lot of things, but for some reason, inadequate sleep just pushes me right over the edge. I picked the wrong profession.

I just awoke from the sleep of the dead, and it did a lot to clear my head. I won't run today, or if I do it will be just a gentle taste. I will recover, find the passion, resume my routine and I believe life will go on.
  
Tomorrow, long run. Long, slow distance aka "LSD". Right back on that wagon.



1 comment:

  1. "Rest when you're weary. Refresh and renew yourself, your body, your mind, your spirit. Then get back to work."  Ralph Marston
     
    Sounds like you are right on schedule!

    ReplyDelete