Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Confections

-for Vera

When the banana slug on the porch step
just above where I sat
had the audacity to reach down
for my donut, a chocolate-glazed old fashioned
starting to melt a little in the sun,
my life as the mother of Vera flashed before my surprised eyes.
The weight of my baby's head in the palm of my hand.
Her fat fingers grasping sand
in a San Francisco park.
Hair flying, running, smiling
at an inside joke like a Zen Master.
Crafting words,
describing the absurd world,
running faster with egg-beater gait 
like Seabiscuit.
Quick wit with pointy
knees and elbows
shoving Dad out of bed on stormy nights.
Big sister
with brown eyes that
remind me to notice
every moment.
The quickening, like insistent kicking,
not gas,
while I sat in my wooden front row medical school seat
looking at histology slides,
the cells of the liver,
where pregnancy met hepatology.
Not knowing then how I'd grieve when she
no longer could be lifted 
to rest on my hips while we walked,
skinny, tan arms wrapped around my neck.
Redwoods, runs, books,
slugs in sun attempting donut thievery.
Mundane, underrated, interrelated 
miracles of confection and conception.




No comments:

Post a Comment