Monday, July 23, 2018

So Far

What I have learned so far in this running streak, today day 306, is to listen to what my body has to say, nod sagely, then run anyway.

So far, it is easier than I expected, and I think I am in love.

It is slowing me down. Recovery might be the key to speed. I feel strong though.

I get out into nature every day, rain or shine or fog or heat, even when my dog raises an eyebrow to the thought. Nature is an even better drug than running.

Do dogs have eyebrows?

Rotating shoes is keeping my feet happy, or maybe just keeping them on their proverbial toes, constantly confused by new surroundings so they cannot complain about 300+ days of running. Current foot clothes I prefer include Nike Terra Kiger, Asics GT something or another (whichever model Mike at  Jogg'n Shoppe always gives me) and Hoka One One ATR. I do not have a sponsorship with any of these shoe companies for some reason. I keep waiting for the call. It is possible they are intimidated by my prowess.

I do not get backaches anymore.

I do get hamstring aches, butt aches, restless calves, sciatica, and gnarly wounds when I inevitably fall on some root during a downhill on a single track trail because my head is in the clouds and not looking at the ground.

I can plank like a motherfucker.

This streak has led to so much laundry. If I literally streaked, maybe that would be better.

My resting heart rate is not infrequently less than 40 beats per minute.

So far, I have learned that I am privileged. Some morning I might wake up with a stroke, or trip on my dog and break my neck, or find out the government has outlawed women running in public. I might have to be a refugee and think only about how to feed my children and keep them alive, without the time or energy for the folly of a run. I might meet that mountain lion in the forest and all that will be left are whichever shoes I wore that day, which I imagine he will spit out, because--gross.

I sometimes get disgusted that I cannot do a sub 7 pace anymore. Then I read the paragraph right before this and put my whining back in my back pocket. I doubt I will ever actually completely discard my whining. I have probably permanently discarded any hope of winning though. Oops, there I go whining again.

What I have yet to learn is what happens on day 366. I cannot picture it. So far, I am thinking I might try for a PR in the half marathon (doubtful, see above). Part of me thinks I would be a natural ultra marathoner, except for my nonexistent night vision and my tendency to fall spectacularly even in bright daylight. I sometimes think of doing a fast 5K. Or another marathon. Or or or

What I have learned from running over 300 days in a row is it is better not to plan too far ahead. Open the eyes, if lucky enough to do so, in the morning. Look outside and determine which clothes you will run in today. Then run. Or pack the clothes and run at lunch break. Or after work. Simple.

If I run too long at lunch break, the nurse at my clinic gets frustrated with me.

Forgetting your running bra is no big deal. That's what Coban is for.

I have learned to run every day. So far.



2 comments:

  1. Coban bra.... hey, I think you're on to something there :) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and... you're awesome. And, I appreciate that I have the luxury of only commenting on your healthy, runner's glow :) xo

      Delete