Thursday, May 31, 2018

The Other Day

The other day
A black man was shot
I was running with Greg
And a child was shot at school
When I felt faint.
I heard they are claiming Sandy Hook was not real.
My heart was palpitating weirdly
Emma Gonzalez asked
Greg was worried he'd need to resuscitate a doctor
for the love of God stop tweeting an image of the killer's face
which I forbade him to do
Emma is actually a child
Because I don't want to die in an ICU.
But gun control is a wild frontier
My resting heart rate is 43, sometimes 38,
that only Americans seem unwilling to explore
my hemoglobin not great
which is ironic.
I was so happy to run with Greg the other day
When we stake our reputation 
I think my heart was just doing joy flip-flops.
on our willingness to forge new paths.
For the record I am serious:
America needs to be kinder, braver, more sensible.
I actually do not want CPR.




No comments:

Post a Comment