Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Diving for Pearls

I love anatomy. Don't get creeped out. If you have a medical doctor who does not (to some degree) love anatomy, there is something wrong with them. I also love physiology. The science of how we function. The deep dive into the chemicals and salts and biological brilliance that helps us do everything from breathing to running to playing a Bach fugue. Having recently re-read A Wrinkle in Time, I must consider that the anatomical sinews and physiological perfections of the body well-studied may not be all there is to it. Maybe we have always existed and maybe we are existing in countless places at once. Maybe my perceptions blind me to the possibilities of wonder.

All that being said, I have this nagging injury that would go away if I stopped running for awhile but I am on a streak and it means something to me I cannot explain, so I just keep running. I try to compromise by taking slow days often. I vary terrain, shoes, pace, elevation. Today the weirdest thing happened, which I think even Charles Wallace Murry would have trouble understanding. I set off for an afternoon run after seeing patients. My legs were very sore (see above re injury). I decided to do a "rest run", which involves a very slow pace. Usually "rest runs" are emotionally challenging for me. But today, from the very first step, I was blissed out with a complete, full-on runner's high. I just felt like nothing was wrong in the world. That nothing else needed to be happening at that moment. This was weird, because simultaneously my hamstrings were so tightly wound that there was a real possibility I was going to get flung across town by them, slingshot style. My right sciatic nerve was screaming bloody murder. But my brain just floated up there and was like, wow this feels good, the flowers smell like ambrosia, the spring air is soft and gentle, that SUV who just cut me off is super nice, that escaped chihuahua running circles right in front of me on the trail is pretty cute.

I do not really like chihuahuas. Or being cut off by SUVs. So, what the heck?

Physiologically, it is serotonin and norepinephrine and such percolating around my brain cells and communicating with the system that is me. Spiritually, it is inexplicable. Psychologically, it made my day. Kinesiologically, I was a slug. Egotistically, this generally puts me in a foul mood. But today, my sluggish, athletically barren self was as happy as could be.

Maybe we can exist in two planes at once, one of suffering and one of bliss. Maybe the key to a well-lived, well-loved life is riding the curl of these extremes. Go too high and the wave of life tips you over, go to low and it crushes you while shoving salt water up your nose. When I surfed, I tended to go too high on the wave, and subsequently dive for pearls.

There was this fragrant shrub I ran past at the start and end of my run today that made me swoon. I think for once in my life, I was in the curl today. Getting all misty over chihuahuas and scrumptious blooms while my very real anatomically-based hamstring misery was something I just acknowledged.

A couple of patients I care for deeply will die this week. I find myself coming at this fact sideways, with my gaze softened and trained at some point just above the strong shoulders of the universe. Wiping the brow of someone in transition without losing oneself to sadness is tricky. Usually the act of dying is not transcendent for anyone involved (though I cannot speak for those that have died and what might happen then), but showing up is probably enough. Transcendence might be overrated. When I have saved up enough in my good vibes account to visit Transcendence, I will be sure to leave a review on Trip Advisor so everyone can know what I think about it.

I love anatomy and physiology, the way it all fits together. How we can run and dance and heal and sing and cry and surf and snuggle. How our chemistry sparks our electricity and our ability to love. How we will never have a shortage of mitochondrial power as long as we live. How after we die our bodies become part of the universe, one way or another. How we might all be connected and powerful and nothing at all, all at once and never before and sometime in the future.

It is possible my endorphins are still in excess. Because none of this makes sense. I should not have had a runner's high today. And beloved people should not get sick and die. It is possible my tendency to accidentally dive for pearls is just one more piece of my DNA, a wrinkle in some part of my mind. Written in my chemistry, just waiting there for the next grand experiment. I think it lives next to that part of my brain that still believes I could go sub 3 in the marathon.

Magical, obtuse, and just this side of possible.














3 comments:

  1. Have you considered cycling? Similar high, much easier on the body especially on a recumbent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is pretty much my favorite of all I've read of your blog. Exquisite.

    ReplyDelete